Friday, April 15, 2011

What's with me and these diners?

I recently made a trip down to Virginia to visit my friend Sandy in Rural Retreat. When I'm down there, one of my favorite places to eat is at the Sugar Grove Diner in Marion. Originally located in Sugar Grove, they moved to the big town of Marion(home of the PBS series Song of the Mountains) because of a water problem in Sugar Grove.

The diner itself is located in a hotel now but is easily accessible. The staff there is very friendly and courteous. The food is down home cooking and is about as close to what your mom made when you were growing up.I usually have the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. It takes a while to cook this meal but it is worth the wait. I've never left there hungry. It's just really good home cooking. Here's a pic of the old location in Sugar Grove.

So if you're ever in the Marion Virginia area on a Saturday night, stop by the Sugar Grove Diner and catch a bluegrass show at the Lincoln Theater in downtown Marion.

2 comments:

  1. What about dessert? It's better than fast food, you know it's real food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie and nanner pudding are great. The hot fudge cake though doesn't stand up to Shoney's.

    ReplyDelete