Friday, April 22, 2011

In Search of the Perfect Burger

Recently my cousin Rich asked on Facebook.... "Who has the best burger in Akron, Ohio?" Many of the responses were the usual local drive-ins. Swensons, Skyway, and Dillys being the most popular. Now I've partaken in some great burgers in my travels. From Ohio to California to the deep South there have been some pretty good burgers eaten. Some places I remember were....Macados in Charlottesville Va, Cocos in Newport Beach Ca, Max and Erma's in German Village in Columbus,Oh, Whitey's Burgers and Booze in Richfield,Ohio,Whataburger in  Texas, and countless others that I can't remember.

Yesterday, I had what was, in my opinion,  the best burger I've ever eaten. Right here in Akron at the corner of Tallmadge Ave. and Glenwood is Louie's Bar and Grille. I had heard of this place over the years as being a great burger joint but I had never made it there to enjoy the experience. I had a 1/2 pound burger with mushrooms and onions and mozzarella cheese. This burger is huge..a true 1/2 pound after cooking. The burger meat is excellent. It came with a huge order of fresh cut fries for $8.49. Every bite of this burger was pure heaven. Louie's has a number of burgers to choose from. I had this as a carry-out order and everything was hot when I got home. The only place that could possibly come close to this burger is Whitey's.

So for now, at least I know I can get a great burger close to home. I anxiously await a better experience down the road. Possibly Littons in Knoxville,Tn?

2 comments:

  1. When we lived in California the best burger I had was a Manny Burger. Manny's was a local place in Stockton. It was big and had a sauce that made a mess but it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the short period of time I was in California I worked constantly. But there were some great restaurants there.

    ReplyDelete